We are always on the lookout for desserts that are lower in sugar. Especially for the kiddos! (Read this informing article about how much sugar kids in the US are eating)...
You know the classic scotcheroos your aunt makes that are so dang delicious? Well, unfortunately they are filled with corn syrup and unnatural ingredients. So we were on the lookout for a healthier version of them when we met met a great company, Love Grown, at the Natural Food Expo. Their goal is to educate kids about the importance of eating a healthy breakfast.
They make cereal from BEANS, and not from modified sugar + corn like most cereals. How cool is that? And come to find that their cereal works great in old classics like scotcheroos and rice krispy treats!
Give these a try, and let us know how you like em!
- 4 cups LoveGrown’s Original Power O’s Cereal
- ¾ cup raw honey
- 1 cup creamy raw peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, divided
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 1 tsp butterscotch flavor (or real vanilla)
- 2 - 3oz bars - JoJo’s 70% Dark Chocolate Bar w/Protein
- In a large bowl pour out Power O’s cereal.
- In a small pot heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil over low heat.
- Once it just begins to boil add peanut butter, nut butter, and honey. Stir to combine and keep boiling for one minute. Then turn off heat.
- Stir in butterscotch flavor and coconut flakes, and pour over cereal.
- Mix until combined, pour into a 7x11 inch pan, and press to flatten.
- Melt chocolate and 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a double broiler or microwave, stirring in 30-second increments.
- Pour over mixture and spread until the top is coated. Let cool in the freezer for 15 minutes to harden.